Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Wire Pumpkins

You may have seen those cute little grapevine pumpkins at the store. I love the natural look of those rather than the bright orange ones, which don't really fit into my decor. Well, I attempted to make a similar style pumpkin using stem wire. I found these in the floral section of Joann Fabrics for $1.99 each. I made one with a thin, dark brown wire, and the other with a thicker, straw-like wire. I also picked up a green wire for an accent color.



The first step is to wrap the wire around something circular, like a bowl or a glass. I had to play around with the sizing a bit, but ended up using a coffee can for the thin wire and a glass for the thick wire. Twist the ends together to secure.



Once all your circles are done, stack them together and wrap a piece of wire around the middle. I twisted it tight and then wrapped it around several more times using the entire piece of wire and twisted the ends tight again to secure.


I also twisted a piece into a stem and added some green curli-cue sprigs by wrapping the green wire around a pen.


Fan out the circles until they look more pumpkin-y :). I really like how the thin, brown one came out a lot better than the thicker one. (They look better in person too than in the photos I think. It was hard to photograph them!) I discovered the more wire you use the better because your pumpkin will be fuller. I used two packs of wire for each pumpkin and if I did it again I'd probably add a third.








This was a fun, little fall crafty creation! Let me know if you give it a try :).

Photobucket

5 comments:

Tami said...

cute!

Terri said...

very cute! I will let you know after I try it because I need to add to my fall decor. All we have are the cute fabric pumpkins I made last year!! thx for the cute idea!

Tabitha Blue said...

Oh wow, those are really cute. I'm impressed. I'm always impressed by you crafty ones!! Can you send some of that craftiness my way?? :)

~Tabitha

1 Funky Woman said...

Those are seriously cute, how creative!

I linked up, hope you can come over and see!

Megan

Sara said...

Very cute!! I think I will have to make a couple of these soon... I could use a few more fall decorations! Thanks, Melissa!